Renowned for its explosive diversity and impressive natural beauty, Costa Rica is a bird-watcher’s paradise, with over 900 bird species, including such favorites as quetzals, toucans, scarlet macaws, motmots, hummingbirds, owls and trogons.
A single day of bird-watching in this captivating corner of the world can offer sightings of up to 85 to 150 diverse species.
In Costa Rica alone, there are 12 of the planet’s 18 different life zones.
Ranging from the dry tropical climate of the Nicoya Peninsula to the humid lowlands of the Caribbean coast, Costa Rica has an incredible array of habitats and micro-ecosystems.
And within every micro-ecosystem, the birding possibilities are nearly endless.
Sarapiquí Birding Package
With this package of four days and three nights at Selva Verde Lodge, you will have the opportunity to join our nature guides for two early morning walks and enjoy bird-scouting adventures throughout the grounds of the lodge.
You can expect to see hummingbirds, trogons, parrots, toucans, honeycreepers, great green macaws and/or more.
Also, enjoy a floating tour down the Sarapiqui River through forested and farming areas full of tropical birdlife, including the Amazon kingfisher, boat-billed heron and fascinating tiger heron.
Our boat guides are some of the top wildlife spotters on the river. Besides birds, you just might spot a three-toed sloth or a crowd of howler monkeys.
In addition to having an amazing variety of birds, la Selva Biological Station is a living laboratory. Located next to Braulio Carrillo National Park, la Selva protects over 3,500 acres of virgin rainforest.
More than 400 species of resident and migratory birds have been recorded in the reserve, representing approximately half of Costa Rica’s bird species.
- Three nights lodging at Selve Verde Lodge, River Lodge room with breakfast included
- Roundtrip transportation to activities and tours
- Early morning bird walks
- Boat-ride in the Sarapiqui River
- Two-hour hike
- Birding at La Selva Biological Station.
Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui (Chilamate, S.), Costa Rica
Juan Castro Blanco National Park is an exceptional place for bird watching, especially for seeing the Resplendent Quetzal(Pharomachrus Mocinno), which is famous for its majestically colored feathers.
Just an hour and a half from La Fortuna, through the wonderful plains of San Carlos, you will come upon this spectacular place surrounded by cloud forests where the main rivers of the northern region begin.
Many of the major rivers of the San Carlos Valley and the Atlantic region originate in the aquifers of this national park.
The total area of the park is of 14,250 hectares (approximately 35,600 acres) and it was created by decree in 1992. 60% of the total area of the park is covered by primary forest, and the rest consists of patches of secondary forest.
This tour will finish with a delicious lunch including fresh trout.
- Transportation to and from the hotel in air-conditioned vans
- Bilingual nature guide with ICT certification
- National Park entrance fee
- Bottled water, energy snacks
- Lunch – trout
- Information materials
- Liability insurance
Juan Castro Blanco National Park, Costa Rica
|Juan Castro Blanco Cloud Forest (Searching the Quetzal)|
|Juan Castro NP||$115||$86||07:00 am||4:30 pm|
- Rates per person (USD)
- Minimum age required: eight years-old
- Good physical condition is required.
- This tour requires a minimum of two participants.
- Pick-up at hotels that are located far from La Fortuna or the main road to the volcano can incur an extra charge.
- Any cancellation or modification of the reservation made less than 24 hours before departure will be charged at 100%.
- The customer shall it be at the agreed-upon time and place. The driver will wait a maximum of five minutes. In case of no-show, the reservation will be charged at 100%.
Birdwatching Caño Negro
Due to the large amount of natural diversity in Caño Negro, it is a vital feeding ground for both resident and migratory birds, of which up to 350 species can be observed!
During three days, you will have the opportunity to search for the fantastic array of birds in this reserved area. The expert guides will help you to identify each bird and recognize their calls while immersing yourself in this wonderful world of ornithology.
Also, you will visit the channels and lagoons that create this spectacular destination on a completely safe and very comfortable boat.
You will be impressed by the magic scenery and the variety of flora and fauna that can be found within the incredible beauty of the wetlands.
Cano Negro National Wildlife Refuge is home to more than 350 bird species, 310 plants and at least 160 species of mammals, such as the howler monkey, the white faced monkey and the spider monkey.
- Two nights in Natural Lodge Caño Negro
- One wetlands boat-tour (two hours)
- One bird sanctuary tour
- Two breakfasts
- One lunch
- Two dinners
- All taxes
Cano Negro National Wildlife Refuge, Costa Rica
|Caño Negro Birdwatching|
|Occupation||Adults||Child 3 -12||Days||Nights|
- Rates per person (USD).
- Minimum age required is eight years-old
- This tour requires a minimum of two participants.
- Any cancellation or modification of the reservation made less than 15 days before departure will be charged at 100%.